Along with the Development Director, the Major Gifts Officer will administer the major gift fundraising program at Child Advocates. The Major Gifts Officer identifies, qualifies, and stewards relationships in a variety of donor circles, and manages fundraising efforts. The Major Gifts Officer strengthens relationships with a portfolio of existing donors; engages and cultivates a broad range of new major gifts prospects; and plays a key role in building a major and planned gifts program.
This position is also responsible for planned gifts with emphasis on identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of planned giving donors and prospects. The Major Gifts Officer oversees programs including bequests, charitable trusts, gift annuities, management of appreciated asset gift transfers, and ensures policy and procedures support all Child Advocates priorities and programs. The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the ongoing cultivation of current and prospective donors to effectively deepen their relationship with Child Advocates.
This position also oversees the annual fund targeting individual donors through quarterly mailings and email and online campaigns. Additionally, this position will coordinate stewardship activities throughout the year, including but not limited to donor receptions for individuals.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, delivers and administers a major gift fundraising program focusing on donors and prospective donors with capacity of $10,000 to $25,000 and more.
- Develops and maintains a portfolio of highly qualified major gift prospects from which to raise donations annually in excess of fundraising targets.
- Identifies new donor prospects through researching background information on potential donors and implementing strategies to cultivate, solicit and steward individual donor prospects.
- Generates philanthropic gifts by aligning donor interests with programmatic goals and priorities.
- Maintain ongoing and regular communication with donors.
- Create, write and oversee the organization’s annual fund campaign targeting individual donors, including but not limited to assessing list segmentations, creating online giving strategies, tracking return rate, and implementing a stewardship plan.
- Collaborate within the Development and Marketing teams to ensure successful implementation of annual fund campaign.
- Coordinate identification and solicitation of potential planned giving and major gift prospects with the Development Director
- Develop, Manage and implement annual and long term goals and activities of the Child Advocates Planned Giving program. Establish metrics around those goals.
- Oversee a tracking system that manages all planned giving and major gift donors and prospects.
- Oversee the Bernie Powell Legacy Society and work with development staff to encourage promotion of the Legacy Society. Assist in the planning of donor and special events as needed.
- Ensure that information regarding donors and prospects learned in the course of cultivation and solicitation is added to the database.
- Keep abreast of current tax laws, statutes, and gift planning materials and vehicles.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Development Director
- BBA or Master’s degree, preferably in business, and related field experience is required
- Certification as Certified Fund Raising Executive or similar certification program is beneficial